Sunday, May 17, 2009

Obsession

Yesterday, a friend of mine and I were discussing things that fat people see differently than the average population.

With a little help from my friend, I've compiled the top 10 list of things a Fat person won't do without obsessing over it.

10. Amusement parks.
  • If we go, we're bored. The rides haves weight limits and we don't want to be the ones that break them.

9. Swimming Pools

  • While personally, I will do this, it's generally when the pool is unoccupied. Getting out of the pool is more embarrassing the getting in. The wet clothes stick to you.

8. Bridges,

  • I'm sure the overlook is beautiful and I'd really like to see it. The idea of plummeting hundreds of feet to my smashing death is well. . .petrifying.

7. Movie Theatres

  • Does the theatre have stadium seating? The arms generally come up for stadium seating and I really don't want to get stuck. Last time I lost a chunk of my pants.

6. Car Shopping

  • Is there tilt wheel? Telescoping wheel? How far do the seats go back? Can I still reach the pedals? Don't buy a truck. Apparently, from the bumper stickers circulating "Fat Girls Can't Climb"

5. Clothes Shopping

  • If a skinny person thinks buying clothes to fit is difficult try being fat. You can't find clothes that really fit if you're over 200lbs. If you're more than 250lb, you may as well call the tent factory. The clothes are ugly, made with crappy fabric, or special order only.

4. Chairs

  • As if the fold up camping chairs weren't bad enough, try the $10 plastic backyard patio chairs from the discount stores.

3. Airplanes

  • You have to purchase the seat next to you. The arms may come down, but every passenger has approached to desk specifically asking to be moved if they're in the seat next to you. (Just a tip, if you're only buying one ticket book a window near the back, if someone wants to buy a middle seat they'll do it near the front.)

2. Gym Memberships

  • It's not easy being the fat girl working out in a gym full of Barbie Dolls.

1. Doctor Appointments

  • "How do you feel about your weight?" - "Well sir, I feel pretty good. Can I have another cheeseburger" Seriously? Does anyone like being fat? I know sometimes there's some psychological reasons people are overweight, I don't think anyone really enjoys being fat.

Until next time. . .

2 comments:

Tara Ann said...

No. 2 is the hardest for me - forget the barbie dolls... it's the nasty looks from the men... they're such pigs and they don't realize that we're working hard to look like the other women there.

And No.1... I swear I'd be happy if just once my doctor would ask me about my weight and help me deal with it. For years I've filled out the yellow form before my appointment and it actually has a spot asking you if you're happy with your body and every time I mark that I would like some help/advice because whatever I'm doing doesn't work... do you think just once it's been addressed? The doctors are in and out so fast that none of them seem to want to address being fat. I swear I was the only person alive who couldn't get a prescription for phen phen!

Hang in there :) Trust me, you're not alone :)

Lynn said...

Too funny and so true.